FROM THE PASTOR'S STUDY
Summary Overview of the New Testament
by Darrel Cline
- The Gospels: a four-fold picture of Jesus Christ.
- Matthew: Jesus is the Abrahamic Christ (Annointed King) Who is the Savior of the Soul of His People.
- Mark: Jesus is the God/Servant Who is the Savior of the Spirit of His People.
- Luke: Jesus is the Adamic Christ Who is the Savior of Adamic Humanity
- John: Jesus is the God/King Who is the Savior of the Body of Those Who Believe.
- The Acts: a theologically slanted history of the progress of the Gospel through the apostolic ministries of Peter and Paul, revealing God's program of bringing salvation to the ends of the earth.
- The Epistles: Technical developments of the doctrines of the Gospel.
- Paul's Epistles:
- Romans: the basic content of the Gospel.
- 1 & 2 Corinthians: the basic enemy of the Gospel; human arrogance.
- Galatians: the basic method of the Gospel; by grace apart from works of the flesh.
- Ephesians: the basic motive of the Gospel; response to the agape of God.
- Philippians: the basic attitude of the recipient of the Gospel; rejoicing.
- Colossians: the basic provision of the Gospel; Christ, in you.
- 1 & 2 Thessalonians: the basic hope of the Gospel; the Rapture of the Church.
- 1 & 2 Timothy and Titus: the basic polity of the Church; elder leadership.
- Philemon: the basic impact of the Gospel; changed lives and relationships.
- Hebrews: the basic superiority of the Gospel; a new covenant based upon the performance of the Christ.
- The General Epistles:
- James: the basic approach to handling temptation.
- 1 & 2 Peter: the basic approach to handling persecution.
- 1 John: the basic practice of the believer; maintaining fellowship with God in the light.
- 2 John: the basic threat to the believer; deception.
- 3 John: the basic focus of the believer: missions.
- Jude: the basic stance of the believer: earnest contention for the faith.
- Revelation: the basic expectation of the believer; an earth-purging judgment, that results in the final fulfillment of the promises.