by Darrel Cline (darrelcline biblical-thinking.org)
Study # 16 December 17, 1997 Harlingen, Texas
Thesis:God's opposition to glorying on a false foundation is rooted in the reality that it is enormously destructive.
A. James is fundamentally concerned with the choice to NOT SIN in the face of very trying circumstances.
B. His claim is that God will give wisdom generously to the person who wishes to remain with Him in the light.
C. Anyone who wants anything else more than to be with Him in the light is tragically unstable and his instability will erode every aspect of his life.
This Current Study:
I. The Enormously Critical Nature of 'Glorying'.
A. What does it mean to 'glory'?
1. 2 Corinthians 1:14 -- this is extremely poorly translated in the NASB; what Paul is talking about is what is going to happen in the Day of the Lord Jesus when we thrill over each other because we are both present in that Day. See 1 Thessalonians 2:17-20.
a. This is the emotional release of extremely desired longings fulfilled utterly.
b. This is not proud confidence; it is joyful exuberance.
2. 1 Corinthians 9:15 -- this is a very basic definition of life so that it is better to die than to lose it...
3. 2 Corinthians 7:4 -- this is a description of what it means to glory...
B. What is the foundation for 'glorying'?
1. What does it take to be "filled with comfort" and "overflowing with joy even in affliction"?
2. An absolutely sure confidence that all is going to end up enormously good.
C. What are the means of 'glorying'?
1. Either an overweaning self-confidence, by which one is sure that he has the right stuff,
2. Or an exuberant God-confidence, by which one is sure that He WILL...
D. Why Does God Adamantly Oppose 'Glorying' That is Accomplished by the Wrong Method?
1. Does God so oppose it?
a. 1 Corinthians 1:29-31.
b. Romans 3:27.
c. Hebrews 3:6.
d. James 4:16.
a. The only way man can so glory is to pit himself against other men to their loss.
b. This is enormously destructive...glorying in oneself is an eating process in a limited dining room--someone else is going to go without.